DFS is a set of out-of-the-box tools and services to enable Documentum core functionality to be extended in a SOA. It exposes the Documentum industry’s leading content management functionality to be as standards-compliant web services.
Documentum Foundation Services (DFS) comprises of the core of the Documentum Enterprise Content Services (ECS), which is a SOA-compliant service offering.It consumer and provider capabilities and also enables the development of custom services.
Advantages Of DFS
- Integraty with a third party applications by creating consumers or providers
- Developers can concentrate on business logic rather than service details (WSDL, SOAP, security etc.)
- Enables rapid development of application
- Bundled SDK- A design time tool, assists developers in client and server side development
- Ensures interoperability amongst clients by defining WSDL as the primary API for DFS services
Capabilities Of DFS
–APIs enable calling of the services from client and execution of services on the server.
Call platform EMC Documentum Services
–Call ObjectServices.create() to create folder in the repository
Create new services
–Create custom functionality not provided by the platform services
–Adhering to pre defined SOA standards (XML,WSDL,SOAP,WS-Security)
Chain services (Composability)
–Combine calls to multiple services to create a larger service (composition)
–Use DFS services in business processes
DFS consumers usually are located separately from the services and call the services via HTTP/SOAP
Java-based DFS consumers can be located inside the same JVM as the services and call the services locally
Local calls avoid the need for DFS to convert Java calls to XML/SOAP